Thursday 22 May 2014

Simple Love.

Throwback Thursday.

Alright, let’s throw it back to the first week of February. My first week in Mexico, on one of those first days we went to Paseo San Quintin, a community about 40 minutes away from where we live here in Mexico. We have been teaching English at a school there every Thursday. That first week we had a massive soccer game. Girls vs. boys of course. It was such a great way to start off the Mexican experience. The only thing that suffered that day was my dignity from falling on my butt… more than once trying to get the ball from an elementary student. The amount of fun I had that day was a good look into how I was going to feel for the next four months to come.

This experience has been absolutely perfect. So much has been accomplished in such a small amount of time when you think of it on a bigger scale. Our first month here we started right into a schedule that consisted of Social Justice and Spanish classes. Volunteering at an old folks home every Monday and Tuesday, and teaching English at two different schools on Wednesday and Thursday. We also had lots of time to experience the culture and different activities people do for fun around here. We have a weekly Taco Night trying out some of the different taco stands in the area. We went crab hunting with one of our favourite Mexican families and their friends. We drove down the coast to go whale watching… we all know how that went. We’ve had mornings and afternoons spent at the beach, a chance to reflect and watch the sunset from the community water tower, and bike rides to explore the community we live in. Also numerous trips to the fruit stand, bakery, and grocery store, an opportunity to camp in the mountains, and a trip to the big city. And then of course, the month of Hero Holidays was the best thing ever. We made so many more Canadian friends as well as meeting new friends and families in Mexico. We've been so blessed to have so many different experiences.

 The relationships that have been built over these last four months will never be forgotten. Even though we are moving back to Canada on Sunday, that doesn't change the love I have received from this place or the amount of love I am leaving here. Love can be shared in the most simple of ways, like it should be. Real love is loving something and expecting nothing back in return. There are many examples of experiencing real, raw love over the last few months. Having that “one person” you looked forward to see every week. That person for me was Nalleli, who I've written about before. I said goodbye to her yesterday without knowing the next time I will be saying hi to her. She’s so young and doesn't realize I won’t be coming back to teach English next week. But our last day together was great. Before we teach English, we play with the kids. It was also lunch time for them so I sat in one of the classrooms with her, one of her friends, and her brother. She and her brother were sharing a very small lunch and I just wanted to give them more food. Yet, they were offering me some of their lunch. It was just nice to watch them interact with each other and for them to let me be part of it. I don’t know what it is about this little girl that I just adore. Maybe it’s the fact that she has remembered my name from the beginning, or that we always find each other in the sea of the other children. She gives the best little hugs and has the biggest smile, even when she’s sad. I think it’s the fact that she’s so simply happy and loving, it’s the simplicity in this child that I love and admire so much. She’s a perfect example of what I’ve learned over the last few months. She’s my reminder to live simply, to appreciate what I do have, because she appreciates what she has too. Not only just appreciate what I have, but to just live a life filled with more conscience decisions. From turning the water off as I shower, to not buying things just because they are on sale. My goals for this semester were to focus more on people and to just simply being simplistic and enjoying my time for what it was worth. I have a new appreciation for the little things. Like being blessed to watch the sun come up over the mountains every day, and set over the ocean. I’ve learned a new appreciation for love, to love because I can, because I want to, and have the ability to. I’ve been given love in so many forms these last four months that I am forever grateful for, whether it’s in the form of three year old kisses, a family giving us snacks, or just for the company of others. It’s been a life changing experience and I don’t care how cheesy that sounds. My eyes have been opened wide to the beautiful way we can all live. We just have to work together, love each other, and share the love as much as we can, so that someday every one can experience the amount of love I have been blessed to have.


Remember how I was talking about that soccer game? Today is the third to last full day in Mexico, and guess what I did? I played soccer at that school, and loved every second of it. As I stood there catching my breathe from running all over the “field” ( dusty playground) I was watching the kids smiling and my fellow LDA’s… it was a simple moment of happiness... no one cared that we don’t speak the same language, or have different soccer abilities. We were all having the time of our lives, because there was love in the air. It really is one of the simplest needs in life, which we all have the ability to share. So tell someone how much you love them today, they may need to be reminded and I’m sure they’ll say it right back… xo see you soon Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment